Entry #1. The Responsibility of Dog Ownership

 

     My Dogs
     Dogs are important members of my family. In my family, we have three dogs. Two of them came from people who were not prepared to own a dog. Sometimes people will adopt a dog or a puppy without realizing how much work a dog takes. Some people think that owning a dog is fun and easy all of the time, but dogs especially puppies take up lots of time. Taking care of a dog is similar to taking care of a baby. A dog can be cute one minute and destroying your house the next. 
     People who are new to owning a dog need to realize that owning a dog takes a lot of time and work. Dog owners need to know how to potty train their dog. The following link can help with that How to potty train your dog or puppy. Something that helps with potty training a dog is a doggy door which gives the dog the freedom to take themselves outside. The owner still will need to teach the dog that they need to pee and poop outside as well as how to use the doggy door. Dogs also can gain bad behaviors like stealing sock and shoes. Here is a guide on How to curb unwanted dog behaviors. One way of getting rid of bad behavior is to ignore the bad behaviors and reward the good behaviors. Dogs do things that are bad because they want attention so to prevent the dog from learning bad behaviors make sure to give the dog lots of attention. Dogs are a lot of work but they also can be a lot of fun if someone is willing to put the work into teaching the dog good behaviors.
    Before buying a dog, it is important to understand how much work goes into a dog and that people's behavior effects the dog's behavior. A person who wants to get a dog first needs to determine if their living situation is good for the dog. They also need to realize that dogs need time and attention before they become the friend you want them to be.

Comments

  1. Hi Lizzie, I love dogs very much and I want to have one. I already have a cute cat, but I want another dog because they are so smart. I don't have much knowledge about taking care of a dog, so I think I have to learn more. Then I will get one soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was super helpful as someone who would like to own a new dog somewhere in the future. The links to potty training and improving a dog's behavior is very helpful. I also believe that some people do not truly understand the responsibility when getting a new dog or pet in general and getting one should always be done after much thought and care.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment